Friday, 16 March 2012

Freya's-Day Fun - Sneak Peak into the BRAND NEW Soul Chaser Chapter 2 - Blood and Feathers

Well it seems like aaaaaages ago I last mentioned the words Soul Chaser or Valkyrie on here...but please don't take that as a sign that I've stopped writing the adventures of valkyries in modern day Jorvik (aka York for the uninitiated). Oh no, I have, albeit on and off due to the usual distractions in life and what's more it's been literally brand new writing in fact a whole brand new chapter has emerged!
It started when I tried to write a back story behind a sudden and mysterious disappearence of a certain Valkyrie readers meet in Chapter 1 (and no it's not the protaganist otherwise I wouldn't have a story to tell). It evolved so well and suprisingly naturally and turned out to be my most dramatic writing yet (makes Chapter 1 like a dip in the water whereas this new chapter literally throws the reader in the deep end).
I had intended originally for hints and clues to be dropped via the protagonist and other characters that this specific Valkyrie's disappearence after Chapter 1 wasn't natural or arranged etc and for a big reveal to come in a later chapter, which did tend to get further and further away from the intended part because another Valkyrie had to learn to fly which took a lot longer than planned.  Anyway, this new sequence of events that I have nearly finished in its roughest form will now snuggle into the current 8 chapters to become the BRAND NEW Chapter 2 - called Blood and Feathers - there's a big hint for you!
I will add it to the sample chapter section once it is neatly tidied up and not too full of errors etc. So to celebrate the addition of an extra spark of imagination I'm going to give you a sneaky glimpse into what I've written for you. The scene you are about to read is at the very start of all the action as it builds up through the middle part so you still have yet to discover the start of it all and the end of the chapter which is also packed full of special secrets and another scene (hehehe) that I didn't intend to feature in the book but it just fitted the puzzle of this new chapter beautifully. I may yet release that secret part at a later date.
So read on and discover a new insight into the nordic modern day clash of worlds that is SOUL CHASER! Enjoy!

“It’s going to be ok Ben, trust us.” Kate quickly tapped his head with the tip of her own spear and he collapsed backwards into her arms. She looked up at me with a stern gaze. “Take him out of here. Now.”
I began gathering Ben up against my chest. “What is that…”
“Now Jennifer! You’re not trained for this.” She snapped at me, with a quick flex of her arm to unleash the full length of her spear.
“Ah, I see you’ve met my new friend.” A cruel voice announced the presence of another unwanted and unexpected and detested figure as Jake strode across the grass towards us.
“Since when did Hel let you have pets?” Kate hissed, standing in front of me and Ben protectively.
“Pets? Oh no, she would never let Garm out here! He has plenty to chew on down below. No, no, this is my companion.” Jake retorted, slowly circling the three of us, his eyes permanently focused on poor trembling Ben, like a kestrel on the hunt.
“She doesn’t believe you can snatch anymore, does she?” Kate somehow managed a smirk, her own eyes locked on his.
Jake’s grew large at such an insult to his pride, soul snatchers values their success rate as much as Valkyries did as soul guardians. He stopped to the right of the mysterious ‘companion’ and brushed back his wavy chestnut hair which looked bright against his cloud grey skin. I knew we were not in a situation to worry about which sad soul he had possessed to make this appearance.
I looked down at Ben and gave him a soft smile, to try and settle the fear I knew he must feel when around such cursed beings that come straight from Hel. It was as I looked back up that I caught a tiny spark of white. A second appeared to form within Kate’s right hand which was also holding her spear. She was summoning the power of the rune Is, meaning Ice and using the power held within the spear to conceal it. I knew it wouldn’t be enough to stop both Jake and the ‘companion’ rushing at us both upon any movement from us. I braced myself, with Ben held tight in my arms, for Kate’s move.
“You haven’t actually been introduced yet have you?” He sneered, resting his hand upon the ‘companion’s’ shoulders. “Ladies, meet Vasir. He was a great warrior long ago, but sadly got involved in a drunken brawl and had his head smashed open with a few wine jars. Hence the hood, he’s not a pretty sight. Even I don’t like to look at him.” He laughed bold and loud. A growl was the response Vasir gave for Jake’s remarks causing him to snatch his arm away quickly. “Ironic thing is he hasn’t lost a fight since, drunk or not.”
“Let’s see if he can still hold the right to such a claim.”
Vasir gave the roar of a wild bear and whirled out a large battle axe from behind his back. In the couple of seconds that one swift movement took Kate had already made hers. She had whirled her spear tip down and thrust it into the ground, forcing the combined energy of whatever runes she had summoned along with Is into the small point of impact. The resulting mix destabilized the runic energy creating a combusting force that struck out at all around. Ben and I were a few seconds ahead of the wave of the energy, soaring skywards with all I could pull from my cloak, Kate not far behind to my left. The maelstrom of dust and crackling lightening bubbling up below us into the air. The pressure helped propel me further, I thought we were going to make it as the eruption of power was slowing when I heard something like a series of fast metallic clinks. Something thin and black struck out of the dust and hit Kate in the back of her head. It shocked her enough to lose her focus causing her to fall away into the clouds of chaos beneath me.

TO BE CONTINUED.................

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts - LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails