Wednesday, 4 January 2012

Angels? Lawyers? Supernatural intrigue? York? - Could only be the arrival of 'Eternal Law' on ITV

I was genuinely suprsied when my own MOTHER rang up saying there seems to be a programme on TV soon involving angels, saving peoples souls and based in none other than my city of birth, York.
I thought BUGGER ME! Someone's beaten me to it before I have even finished a first draft of Soul Chaser - although my kick-ass valkyries are a lot more exciting than behaving like boring lawyers.
She said the writer and actor from this new series was on BBC Breakfast Wednesday morning (of course when I was at work damn it) but thanks to BBC iPlayer I could catch up. 
Please follow this link http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/12550706 and scroll the timer to 8.40 to jump straight in.
Not only did the writer turn out to be the mad supernatural genius behind 'Life on Mars' which was an AWESOME series of many layers and levels but that SAMUEL WEST stars in this series (he features in my favourite norse film Sword of Xanten - look it up it's all about the tale of Sigurd and Fafnir the dragon and cursed gold) so I was delighted to see him star in a british supernatural drama series (albeit on ITV which means I have to grind my teeth through the irritating breaks). 
BUT of course the amazing and unusual coincidental feature of this new series is ITS SET IN YORK! JORVIK I MEAN! OF ALL THE WONDERFUL HISTORICAL CITIES THEY COULD HAVE PICKED TO INVOLVE COURTS AND LAWYERS LET ALONE ANGELS THEY PICEKD THIS ONE!
In a way I'm in two halves about it - I'm glad they've picked my favourite city in the world, this will at least allow viewers and who knows potential readers to get accustomed to the idea of supernatural beings and mystery and secrets in this world heritage (should have been given the damned title it jolly well deserves curse you European Union!) city for Soul Chaser WHEN it reaches the masses (See I'm trying to be optimistic this year) but it also means I won't be the one to highlight the magical beauty of the place.
Anyway I hope you will join me to watch the first episode tomorrow night, it will certainly prove interesting as these are no typical angels of course and certainly not the type to fall in awful love triangles - but I'm sure a few angelic rules will get broken - as hinted in the BBC interview. If I find it interesting or at least enjoyable enough despite the irritating adverts I might well run a running blog commentary of each episode and what I think of each character and the way the plot goes etc.
See below for date, channel, time and a brief intro into the world of 'Eternal Law':
 
Eternal Law
(To the left Samuel West (from Sword of Xanten) and Ukweli Roach - Angels in the disguise of Lawyers)
Series 1, Episode 1
New six-part drama series from Ashley Pharoah and Matthew Graham about two angels who are sent to Earth in the guise of lawyers in order to help humankind. Moments after Zak and Tom's arrival in York, the peace of the city is shattered by a shocking act of violence. The pair are then plunged into a court case involving an estranged family and a newlywed. Zak is alarmed to discover that his past has come back to haunt him in the form of old flame Hannah English - much to the delight of his nemesis, Richard Pembroke. With Samuel West, Ukweli Roach, Orla Brady, Tobias Menzies, and Hattie Morahan. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just wanted to say that it's nice to see that your blog is sorted and back on now. (btw I haven't seen that television series). I had quite a good holiday and hope you had a festive Yule. Happy 2012 :) Take care, Rayne x.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts - LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails