Wednesday, 4 May 2011

Thor's Day Special - The Fantasy Guide.com - A Mead Hall full of Top Viking Fiction!

Now where do you go if, like me, you want to learn what books and authors there are in the world that take on the role of a Skald in the genre of Viking Fiction both Historical and Fantasy?

Well my discovery and subsequential naming of this relatively unknown genre has come about literally by chance from reading one book, discovering another author and so on.
Most Viking Historical Fiction and Norse Fantasy books I've read, reviewed and blogged here or shared on my Goodreads site (look up valkyrie1008) but a while ago, near the end of last year, I realised I'd actually amassed quite a collection of top rate fiction dealing with my favourite interest - vikings and norse mythology.
To try and spread the word I sent in a few reviews to Will Kalif at his Fantasy Guide.com site full of fantasy books reviews, author interviews, amazon offers etc. Well I ended up sending them all and because there was soooo many he decided to be super generous and even construct a page on his site dedicated to purely Viking Fiction. I even got to be a bit clever and write up a guide to the two sub-genres, Historical Fiction and Norse Fantasy to allow beginners work out what I was ranting on about.
And after recently submitting my two reviews of the Blood series by Melvin Burgess (a modern teenage retelling of the Volsung Saga in two parts) I've realised to my horror that I haven't shouted out about this great man, great site and great page nearly enough as I should!

So here it is - my BIG THORS-DAY SPECIAL SHOUT OUT!
FOR ALL VIKINGS FANS OF ANY TYPE 
but esepcially for Vikingy Bookworms like myself
please do follow the link via the image below to sample the great deluxe of books and authors I've read and given a Vikingr roar in approval - I guarantee you won't be disappointed!
Here's a list of all the great names I've discovered who are bringing back the Old Gods and Old Heroes of old in fab new ways:

GILES KRISTIAN
BERNARD CORNWELL
ROBERT LOW
TIM SEVERIN
JOANNE HARRIS
SUSAN PRICE
JULIA GOLDING
WILLIAM MIEKLE
CHRISTOPHER SPELLMAN
BETSY TOBIN
JAMES LOVEGROVE
GREG VAN EEKHOUT
NEIL GAIMAN
M D LACHLAN
CRESSIDA COWELL
SIMON GREY
and recently to join this fine lot
MELVIN BURGESS 

AND there is more planned to come! I always try to have at least 1 viking historical or norse fantasy book awaiting my attention in my ever growing to-read plans and Will and I have discussed plans to add a Viking Non-fiction book list (which I've also been  reading) so you can also improve your knowledge and understanding of this fantastic period in history and revel in the wonders of these amazing explorers, poets, warriors, sea-farers and more!
So do keep checking on the site - it's going to possibly collapse the world wide web with all the Viking Love I'm pouring into it hehehe.

  
Go on spread the Viking Love - you know I'll drive you BESERK if you don't  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts - LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails