Wolf Cry by Julia Golding
My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Although this book is aimed at young teenagers I was hooked from the start. The characters are so strong and she introduces a side to the Viking's I've never seen before in historical fiction and that is the many feuds they have between each other as individual raiders and leaders, the cost of family blood feuds over generations and also the little known impact Norse raiders had on the natives of Africa and the beginnings of the slave trade in black people.
The over all tale is truly captivating and thrilling, you fall in love with the good people and grow to hate the bad ones. The ending is a bit of a shock and to be honest very sad but it is a good climax to the themes of belonging, family love and fate woven throughout.
I would definitely recommend it to any young teenager to read to get a good first taste of the life of vikings without too much gore and violence.
View all my reviews
Valkryian Sanctum Quarters:
- SC Home Blog
- About Me + Soul Chaser
- Creative Connections - favourite links
- Famous Friends - Author Meetings
- Soul Chaser (WIP) - Novel Blurb
- Soul Chaser - Chap 1 - The Old Ways Never Die
- Soul Chaser - Chap 2 - Blood and Feathers
- Soul Chaser - Chap 3 - Trouble After Midnight
- Soul Chaser - Chap 4 - Sacred Secrets
- Soul Chaser - Chap 5 - Know Thy Enemy