Saturday, 12 June 2010

Vampires, a revamp and throwing down the gauntlet (to myself):

I'm not suprised this past week has flown by as it was exceptionaly busy back at work. Not only was me and my boss Terry playing hostesses to many subject teams of teachers visiting the library to check their book stock, but I was also proudly showing off some of the 39 e-resources we have available for our students to do online research from without turning to the dreaded google or wiki. That was amongst the Library being closed for one morning and one afternoon of the week due to an exam taking place inside (no I didn't get that time off - I kept busy at the back preparing new books for shelves) AND training.
However training was really exciting as me and Terry visited Wyke College Library in Hull after they had a huge rebuild and makeover - it all looked very modern and trendy. We met plenty of other librarians and all share our experiences and suggested what was best practice in the Library etc. All in all it was a very informative day.

I have also been a very busy bookworm. I picked three books before I broke up for half term that I felt were in the genre of my writing but they also proved to be popular with my target audience so I gave them a try.  2 feature vampires in modern day and the other featured more magical creatures known as Fey or Faeries. Here they are with my reviews (also available on Shelfari.com and Goodreads.com just search my name)

Merry Gentry, tome 1 : Le baiser des ombres Merry Gentry, tome 1 : Le baiser des ombres by Laurell K. Hamilton


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
Despite the many large dollops of magical sex featured in this book you tend to make yourself blissfully ignorant of how active the Fey characters are and come to love them despite this. It portrays an interesting world where the people of America live with Fey, faerie elf like creatures of great beauty and sexual apetite and shows how the old classic style of royal (circus like) court of the Fey clashes with that of the modern world.
There is still plenty of adventure action, thrills, scares and tender moments where you bond with the characters through the story. Although for one such as me who doesn't usually read any erotic fiction of any kind it is hard to say whether women should be proud or embarassed to want to read the next one - like I do.

View all my reviews >>

Undead and Unwed (Undead, #1) Undead and Unwed by MaryJanice Davidson


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Absolutely brilliant. A fast paced enjoyable read that I finished in a record breaking two days! Well record breaking for me anyway. Witty, funny, smark, thrilling, enticing and intoxicating in some parts.

It's the much more mature adult funnier  version vamp story compared to Stephenie Meyers teenage anxiety series.

View all my reviews >>

Dead Until Dark (Sookie Stackhouse, #1) Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
Charlaine Harris has you hooked from the start and the amazing thing is she's created a world where the read isn't keen for an insight into her fictional vampire modern society - instead the intense and thrilling story has a strong focus - of Sookie Stackhouse - a young lady living in a world where the paranormal is now just about acceptable yet she has her own paranormal gift but guards it secretly.
You get swept away in Sookie's life private and public and the adventures she has with a vampire called Bill.
Deeply satisfying, thrills give you tingles and you end up thirsting for the next chapter like Bill thirsts for blood.

View all my reviews >>

Personally upon reflection I have a slight tendancy to prefer Harris 1st. Davidson 2nd and Hamilton 3rd only due to the fact that Hamilton does pack a lot of adult scenes into it (all concerning action in the bedroom), there's only a small dollop of that in Davidson's first book of her Betsy Taylor series and Harris features it too but she packs so much more into the story that it is only a very minor feature against everything Sookie goes through. Yet I did enjoy reading all three so I am going to slowly work my way through each of the three series if I can. At least that's got my reading time sorted - no need to buy anymore books as I have taken all these out from my own little library hehehe ah the wonders of work.

I've also - as I'm sure you've noticed - had a bit of a revamp - a make over on this blog and that is now due to the availability of some more funky, modern and cool design features on Blogspot. Do let me know if you approve or indeed if you are having problems with anything. Such as can't quite read text or if you feel it's a bit crowded. Any feedback would be greatly welcome - the colour code is still a bit brown but I'm hoping the aged parchment/leather at the back gives it a good elderly feel. I did want to use a nice colourful space scene for background but it didn't fit the whole blog so everything was on black after a certain point which didn't sit right with me.

Now as I've sadly and stupidly missed my writing group this week (sorry Stephen MAY!) due to not correctly setting my alarm and sleeping in (although I was up till 1am dealing with a spider eviction situation that was tense and scary) I have punished myself by cleaning and tidying today but my goal for tomorrow is to try and get Chapter 4 finished roughly as a way of making amends with my writers conscience. So if you see me on Twitter remind how naughty I was missing my first writing group ever and demand more Soul Chaser thus shunning me offline and hopefully onto the document to write up.

There I've thrown my gauntlet down to myself and hopefully with some friendly nagging and support from you guys I won't let you or myself down.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have been very busy. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on these books. It is always interesting to hear how others have found a book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I'm finding your revamped blog difficult to read. Perhaps I'm showing my age!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts - LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails